University of Basel, Kollegienhaus, Auditorium, Petersplatz 1, Basel and University of Basel, Alte Universität, Grosser Hörsaal, Rheinsprung 9, Basel
Bernoulli-Euler Society / SCNAT
EULER - BERNOULLI: yesterday, today, tomorrow
The Euler Commission has been publishing the works and correspondence of the mathematician Leonhard Euler (1707–1783) for more than a hundred years. The publication of the last printed volume is celebrated with a ceremony.
At the end of the printed edition of the Opera Omnia, the Bernoulli-Euler Society, together with the SCNAT Mathematics, Astronomy and Physics platform, is organizing an anniversary celebration on October 28th and 29th, 2022 in Basel.At the same time, this is also the transition to a new phase: All works, letters and notebooks by Euler, the Bernoulli and their environment are to be presented online and freely accessible on a modern digital platform.
Friday, October 28th
At the Aula of Kollegienhaus, Petersplatz 1
- 5 p.m.: Greetings from Prof. Dr. Andrea Schenker-Wicki, Rector of the University of Basel; Prof. Dr. Marcel Tanner, President of the Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences; Prof. Dr. Matthias Egger, President of the Board of Trustees of the Swiss National Science Foundation
- 5.30 p.m.: Lecture by Prof. Dr. Günter Ziegler, President of Freie Universität Berlin: “Mathematics is a broad field. Euler as universalist»
- 6:30 p.m.: Aperitif and vernissage of volume II 27 on celestial mechanics and presentation of the Euler comic
Saturday, October 29th
At Grosser Hörsaal, Alte Universität, Rheinsprung 9
- 9 a.m.: Door is open, coffee and tea
- 10 a.m.: Prof. Dr. Hans-Christoph Im Hof (Basel):«Die Edition der Werke Leonhard Eulers», Prof. Dr. Andreas Kleinert (Halle):«Von den Petersburger Manuskripten zur SeriesIVA der Opera omnia. Zur Geschichte der Euler-Briefedition»
- 11:30 a.m.: PD Dr. Rita Gautschy (Basel) und Prof. Dr. Gerd Grasshoff (Berlin):«Opera-Bernoulli-Euler.digital», with demonstrations (please bring your own notebook!)
In addition to the anniversary celebration, there will also be an international symposium on October 28th to conclude the printed Euler edition.
Export event as iCal